We are looking for a mid-level web application developer who loves to solve complex problems on large and sometimes small projects.
As a Front End Developer, your main responsibility is for the production, modification and maintenance of interactive front-ends that provide great user experiences for our media technology solutions.
The candidate must love coding, enjoy helping the team deliver great work, and must be able to clearly communicate with clients and within the Forge team. It will be their job to work on a variety of different projects, from contributing to the design process to developing interactive front-ends that provide great user experiences.
The candidate should be well versed in the full web stack, have experience creating front-ends for RESTful web-services, and love good design. The candidate should also be excited about working within the media and broadcast sector.
- Providing accurate timing estimates on work.
- Contributing to documentation (instructional, pitch and technical specification).
- Contributing to the company development.
- Discussing technical solutions with clients and providing innovative new ideas to solutions.
- Maintaining a high awareness of industry issues and trends, particularly in regard to accessibility, usability, and emerging technologies, and keep team members informed as appropriate, with a view to incorporating these in future projects and staying ahead of the market and position yourself and the company as a digital specialist.
- Constantly seeking to develop yourself by learning new technologies and keeping abreast of your markets developments.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
The candidate must have the following skills, knowledge and experience:
- Have considerable experience with RESTful Web Services
- Fluency in HTML5 and CSS3
- JS testing frameworks
- Passionate about design, user experience and interfaces
- Ability to work well with other developers and contribute to improved process and workflow
- Ability to work in projects delivered using Agile frameworks
The ideal candidate will have:
A degree / equivalent professional qualification or significant demonstrable skills and experience.
Mediasmiths International works for some of the biggest and best-known names in the global media business, such as the BBC, BSkyB, ITV, Discovery, Danish Broadcasting, Foxtel, Encompass, TV4 and Sky New Zealand. Whether it is to transform the way that they manage content, streamline their internal operations, or enable new delivery channels and business models, our clients rely on us to help them select and implement the right technical and operational solutions.
The detail of what we do changes from client to client, but we will typically help a client to clarify their challenges and make a case for change; to design the right solution to enable that change; and to implement the right solution. We can cover everything from systems architecture through to user experience design, workflow and process mapping, software development, operational change, training, and support.
We are looking to grow our development team across the group and have a vacancy for a front-end developer to work with our existing team. The position is based in MediaCity, Manchester and will be expected to work closely with our global clients as well as those in the UK.
To give a flavor of the job – if you’d worked for Mediasmiths in the last six months, then you might have developed an extensive software suite to help a major Australian broadcaster to make the transition from relying on videotapes to file-based processes; you might have implemented a solution to enable one of the big UK broadcasters to get their content onto platforms such as Playstation 4, Xbox One, Sky Anytime+ and iTunes; or you might have worked on a product to allow one of the largest global content providers to track the way that they create different versions of programmes for the different markets in which they operate. In all cases, you will have been involved in gathering requirements, designing the solution, developing and testing the software, and supporting the client in implementing it.
We are a global business with offices in London, Manchester, Belfast, Stockholm and Sydney to service and support our growing client base, and you will have the opportunity to work with cross-border teams and clients outside the UK on a regular basis.
To apply for this position please fill out the below form, attach your CV and click send.